Tuesday, December 29, 2009

*Insert Kobaïa nerd joke here*



So what we have here is the Magma singles collection. Now, I want you all to sit there and ruminate on this one here for awhile. Magma, the group known for their epic-length tellings of the trials and tribulations of the good ol' people of the planet Kobaia have a collection (albeit a brief one) of their nice, little, concise non-album pop singles. Well, pop for Magma. And guess what, IT'S PURTY DAMN GOOD. The first few tracks are filled with all these little mutant-samba riffs and horny horns, kinda like nuclear damaged Herb Alpert, but with the all-too-fun trademark Magma operatic shriek vocals. I call this whimsical little CD to your attention, however, for the last track, "Mekanik Machine." Oh mama, "MEKANIK MACHINE." This is Magma recast as a funk band from hell, picking up the gauntlet that "De Futura" (off their Udu Wudu LP) dropped by its lapels and kicks the living shit out of it. It's that good.

1 comment:

  1. And while I'm here, thank you for this one too!

    I'd sure like to know what that Rufus Thomas song that blew you away is, but I don't get anything up on my computador page... Jes' wonderin'

    Thanks!

    Cheers,

    Marc (Canada)

    ReplyDelete